Mission Statement Of The N.I. Lobachevsky State University Of Nizhny Novgorod
N.I. Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod (UNN) was established in 1916 as a People's University. The University has provided the basis for the development of higher education and a fundamental research system in the Nizhny Novgorod region. It is one of the best classical universities in Russia.
The University is renowned for innovation in the fields of research and higher education. As a result, UNN's scientific and pedagogical schools have won international recognition for their excellence. The continual development of these schools ensures the high standard of UNN's educational activity as a research university. The University aims to respond in an effective manner to new and evolving scientific and educational challenges.
The University has concentrated its research efforts through the creation of large research institutes that focus on work in cutting-edge fields. Additionally, UNN's scientific and educational cooperation with the Russian Academy of Sciences has been formalized. The University also continuously engages in multifaceted interaction with various branches of the economy.
The University endeavors to generate additional funding to support its educational and research activities.
UNN is the centre of integration for the educational, scientific and cultural life of the region.
UNN intra-university life is distinguished by a high degree of democracy.
The University of Nizhny Novgorod sees its mission as maintaining and strengthening the role of UNN as one of the leading institutes of Russian higher education which is engaged in:
- research-based training of highly skilled graduates capable of making an effective contribution to Russia's development;
- the development of fundamental and applied research as essentials for the provision of high quality education and as sources of new knowledge and technologies that provide solutions to pressing social and economic problems ;
- the development of a knowledge and technology transfer culture common to all universities;
- making a significant contribution to the development of Russian education and participation in the efforts of Russia's universities to form an integrated system of higher education in Europe;
- active influence on socio-economic, cultural and ethic development of the Nizhny Novgorod region and the Volga Federal District.
To achieve the stated goals, Nizhny Novgorod University
- provides education on the basis of scientific research with the use of modern management and control systems which ensure the provision of high quality education;
- introduces new areas of training that meet the needs of a knowledge-based society through the education of qualified personnel, and develops programmes of elite and mass education;
- acts as a centre for the development and dissemination of new educational standards, programmes and teaching methods;
- meets the requirements of individuals, the society and the State in a wide spectrum of basic and additional educational programmes that are delivered in formats appropriate to different kinds of students, and creates the conditions for life-long learning;
- encourages students to continuously update their knowledge, promotes their leadership qualities and aids students' development as highly cultured, socially active and well rounded people.
- carries out wide ranging and interdisciplinary basic and applied research that builds up the University's overall potential and constitutes the basis for a high-quality education;
- creates the conditions for expanding and strengthening the scientific and pedagogical schools at UNN and for attracting talented young people, on a large scale, to research and education;
- provides training for highly qualified scientific staff through Masters and Doctoral programmes;
- conducts evaluation and analytical activities in science and education;
- strengthens cooperation with research institutes at the Russian Academy of Sciences and industry research institutes; creates and develops research and education centres;
- expands the infrastructure for innovation ensuring effective transfer of research-intensive technologies and the development of competitive products;
- promotes social, economic, institutional and cultural development of the country, the Federal District and the Nizhny Novgorod region;
- cooperates with federal and regional government agencies;
- promotes the formation of high-tech sectors in the economy in the Federal District and in the Nizhny Novgorod region through more dynamic transfer of research-intensive technologies and better integration with world high-tech industries in a manner that promotes external investment in the region;
- promotes social stability and an environment of mutual understanding and tolerance, and supports ethical and cultural diversity in the multinational and multi-faith Volga Federal District and in the Nizhny Novgorod region;
- participates in the formation of the integrated European Higher Education Area and preserves the traditions of Eurasian cooperation;
- takes an active part in the formation of regional and international university networks;
- develops international cooperation in the field of science and high technologies and promotes new forms of interaction in high priority areas;
- establishes and nurtures a system of training for overseas undergraduate and post-graduate students within the framework of the Russian education system;
- takes an active part in the international cooperation programmes of the Volga Federal District and the Nizhny Novgorod region.
To meet the above objectives, UNN:
- develops its own structure and improves the management system, relying on the dynamic organization of its principal activities through a project-oriented approach and through integration with other educational and scientific establishments;
- expands its network of additional funding sources;
- develops the material and technical basis for educational and research work as well as the material infrastructure for supporting the social life of its employees and students;
- creates an information environment ensuring the formation of a highly developed information culture in the university community and outside it, and providing the basis for IT support of educational, research, administrative and managerial activities.