Home - Admissions - Before & upon arrival - Legalization of Educational Documents

The Legalization of Educational Documents

This section is about the Legalization process of Educational Documents. It aims to provide students with reasoning behind why UNN requires this process to be done on all educational documents received before being able to admit students into the University.

What is Legalization Process?

First of all, the legalization of the document on education is required if you need to present it for official use in a foreign country. The legalization of any document is possible only on the territory of the country, where the document was issued. There are two main types of document legalization are the "Apostille" and Consular legalization. The choice/need of the legalization type and procedures to follow in every case depends upon weather the country, where the document was issued, IS or is NOT party to the Hague Convention of October 5th, 1961. A full list of countries which signed the convention and contacts of competent authorities can be found by clicking here.

If your Country is Party To the Hauge Convention

If a country is the party to the Hague Convention, the "Apostille" stamping (sometimes this procedure is called "the simplified legalization" or "apostilling") is used to prepare the document for its further usage in the countries, which joined to the Hague Convention.

To be eligible for an apostille, a document must first be certified by an officer (notaries, in some cases), which will then be recognized by the authority that will issue the apostille. Each country, party to the Hague Convention, makes its own decision on the list of authorized agencies to be allowed to issues apostilles.

What is an Appostille?

The apostille itself is a stamp or printed form consisting of 10 numbered standard fields. On the top is the text APOSTILLE, under which the text Convention de La Haye du 5 octobre 1961 (French for Hague Convention of 5 October 1961) is placed. This text must be written in French for the Apostille to be valid (article 4 of the Convention). In the numbered fields the following information is added:

1. Country (e.g. Hong Kong, China) This public document

2. has been signed by (e.g. Henry Cho)

3. acting in the capacity of (e.g. Notary Public)

4. bears the seal/stamp of (e.g. High Court of Hong Kong) Certified

5. at (e.g. Hong Kong)

6. on the (e.g. 16th Apr.2014)

7. by (e.g. the governor of the special administrative district of Hong Kong, China)

8. No (e.g. 2536218517)

9. Seal/stamp (of the authority giving the apostille)

10. Signature

The information can be placed on the (back of the) document itself, or attached to the document as an allonge. More information about apostille can be found here

If your Country is not part of the Hauge Convention

If a country is not the party to the Hague Convention, Consular legalization is required, when a document must be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the document originated and then by the Embassy or a Consulate of the government where the document will be used (Russia in your case).

For example, as a non-signatory, Canadian documents for use overseas must be certified by the Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa or by a Canadian consular official abroad and subsequently by the relevant government office or consulate of the receiving state.