Invitation & Visa
Arranging a Student Invitation is mandatory for all citizens of countries that have visa regime with the Russian Federation, who intent to enter Russia for the purposes of study. Upon the condition, that a citizen of a country that has a visa regime with the Russian Federation has a temporary residence permit or a residence permit in the Russian Federation, arranging a Student Invitation is not required.
For citizens of the following countries, issuing student invitation and student visa is not required: Azerbaijan, Israel, Moldova, Kyrgyzstan, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.
Presenting an Original of your Student Invitation is an essential basis for the issue of a Student Entry visa in the nearest consular offices of the Russian Federation abroad.
The Process of Obtaining Your Student Invitation
Your passport should be valid for a minimum of 18 months from the date of your proposed arrival in the Russian Federation.
Invitations are issued by the Federal Migration Service of the Russian Federation. After an examination of your application, the Russian Federal Migration Service agency decides to permit or refuse a foreign citizen to enter into the Russian Federation.
The invitation is made within a period lasting for about five weeks from the date of receiving the application for a permit to enter the Russian Federation.
Ordering of Your Student Invitation
During this process you should, in order to obtain your Student Invitation, inform the International Students Office about your preferred method of ordering your invitation in the Federal Migration Service of the Russian Federation. You need to choose between two options and inform us about it:
1. Electronic invitation (soft copy) is sent by the Federal Migration Service directly to the chosen consular office of the Russian Federation abroad. When the soft copy is ready, the University sends you via e-mail the confirmation, needed to apply at the consular office in order to obtain your Student-Visa.
2. Printed invitation (hard copy) is collected in the Federal Migration Service by the University and is delivered immediately to your selected address via one of the following post services. After receiving your Student Invitation in your home country, you may then apply at the nearest consular office of the Russian Federation abroad in order to obtain your Student-Visa. There are three delivery options available for students to receive the hard copy of the documents:
a) DIMEX DELIVERY. To obtain the invitation letter through DIMEX you must complete the online form stating that you agree to refund the postal delivery charge upon your arrival to the University. The delivery process takes around 3-7 days.
b) COURIER PICK-UP. You can visit an Express Mail Company (e.g. DHL, TNT, EMS or UPS) to order a pick-up of documents from UNN Admission Office. The University will not issue any charge for the service, as you would have already paid the Express Mail Company upon your order with them. For this option, you must inform the University admissions team that you wish to use this service. The contact information for courier pick-up is the following: office 306, building 2, 23, Gagarin avenue, Nizhny Novgorod, 603950, Russia; phone No. +7 831 462 35 21.
c) FRIEND PICK-UP. If you have family or friends already in Russia or studying at UNN you can authorize them to pick up your documents in person from UNN Admission Office and mail to you. For this option, you should inform the admissions team beforehand.
Applying for Your Student Visa
After receiving your Student Invitation, you may then apply at the nearest consular office of the Russian Federation in order to obtain your Student-Visa. Ordinary Single-Entry Student Visas are valid for three months and are then extended within the territory of Russia, during your course of study for a period of one year. If you are issued with a Russian visa your passport will be endorsed with a paper sticker.
When you receive the visa you should check that all the details are correct. Check in particular:
- Your personal details (name, date of birth, gender, passport number etc.)
- The start and end dates of the visa
If you notice a mistake, please contact the Visa Application Centre immediately and before you travel. If your visa is refused, please contact the International Students Office at the University immediately.
You will be able to use the visa to travel to Russian Federation - you must arrive in Russia on or after the “valid from” date of your visa. DO NOT travel to Russia before the “valid from” date of your visa.
* Please Note: To avoid administrative errors, when filling out an application form for studying at the Lobachevski State University of Nizhni Novgorod (UNN), you should specify a certain consular office for which you are going to apply for your single-entry student visa. For a full list of consular offices, please visit the Consular Information Website.
**To be able to extend your Student Visa, it is necessary to enter the territory of Russia not later than 1.5 months before the end of student single-entry visa issued by a consular office of the Russian Federation. The Federal Migration Service can refuse to renew the visa of a foreign student in the case of the late address.