BIOPHOTONICS AND NANOBIOTECHNOLOGIES
- Development of methods for intravital optical diagnostics and monitoring of malignant neoplasms;
- Development of high-resolution microscopy methods with the use of nano-sized contrasting agents for biomedical research;
- Development of methods for targeted delivery of nanoparticles in human organism;
- Research into toxicity and biodegradation of nanomaterials.
- A method for forecasting the degree of severity of complications in radiation therapy of intraoral and oropharyngeal cancer has been developed;
- Unique techniques for visualization, monitoring and intravital quantitative estimation of photosensitizers’ distribution in various organs during preclinical studies of medicines have been developed;
- Highly effective bioengineering complexes on the basis of mini-antibodies and semiconductor nanoperticles (quantum dots) for specific marking and subsequent intravital visualization of some types of tumoral cells have been developed;
- On the basis of genetic marking of cells by fluorescent protein , a tumor model for pre-clinical testing of anticancer drugs has been developed and is currently at the stage of trials;
- A method has been proposed for studying functional properties of phagocytal blood cells on the basis of their interaction with nanoparticles.
- Alexander Mikhailovich Sergeev, Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Sciences (Physics & Mathematics);
- Sergey Mikhailovich Deyev, Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Sciences (Biology);
- Mikhail Ivanovich Bakunov, Professor, Doctor of Sciences (Physics & Mathematics);
- Elena Vadimovna Zagaynova, Doctor of Sciences (Biology);
- Irina Vladimirovna Balalaeva, Candidate of Sciences (Biology).
- A special compartment equipped for working with human and animal cell cultures (Sanyo СО 2 incubator, NuAir laminar safety hood, Eppendorf centrifuge, auxiliaries);
- Labconco compartment equipped with a life-support system for working with immunodeficient animals;
- FACSCalibur flow cytofluorimeter;
- DFT-2 М diffusion fluorescent tomograph;
- Carl Zeiss Axiovert 200 fluorescent microscope;
- Thorlabs optical coherent microscope;
- Shimadzu spectrofluorimeter;
- Shimadzu spectrophotometer.
Partners and customers:
- Institute of Applied Physics of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
- M.M.Shemyakin and Yu.A.Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Moscow);
- Nizhni Novgorod State Medical Academy;
- Semashko regional clinical hospital in Nizhni Novgorod;
- Nizhni Novgorod regional oncological clinic;
- N.N.Blokhin Russian oncological research centre of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences (Moscow);
- G. А . Razuvaev Institute of Organometallic Chemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
- M.I.Lomonosov Moscow State University.
Key projects (sources of financing):
- Project No. 02.522.11.2002 of the Federal Agency for Science and Innovations;
- Projects of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (07-04-01586, 08-02-01293, 07-02-01146, 08-02-99049);
- Basic research programs of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences «Fundamental sciences for medicine» and «Basic research in nanotechnologies and nanomaterials»;
- T.A. Zdobnova, S.G. Dorofeev, P.N. Tananaev, R.B. Vasiliev, T.G. Balandin, E.F. Edelweiss, O.A. Stremovskiy, V.P. Zlomanov, I.V. Balalaeva, I.V. Turchin, E.N. Lebedenko, S.M. Deyev.Fluorescent immunolabeling of cancer cells by quantum dots and antibody scFv fragment // J . of Biomedical Optics, 2009.
- E V Zagaynova, M V Shirmanova, M Yu Kirillin, B N Khlebtsov, A G Orlova, I V Balalaeva, M A Sirotkina, M L Bugrova, P D Agrba and V A Kamensky Contrasting properties of gold nanoparticles for optical coherence tomography: phantom, in vivo studies and Monte Carlo simulation // Phys. Med. Biol. 53(2008) 4995-5009.
- Natalia Gladkova, Anna Maslennikova, Irina Balalaeva, Felix Feldchtein, Elena Kiseleva, Maria Karabut, Rashid Iksanov. Capabilities of optical coherence tomography for diagnosing mucositis in patients with head and neck cancer in the course of radio (chemo) therapy // Medical Laser Application 23(2008) 186-195.
- Е .V. Zagaynova, M . V . Shirmanova, V . A . Kamensky , М . Yu . Kirilin, A.G.Orlova, I . V . Balalaeva , B.N.Khlebtsov, А . М . Sergeev.Research of contrasting properties of gold nanoparticles for the method of optical coherence tomography // Rossiyskie nanotekhnologii, 2007 No.7-8. P. 135-143.
- I . V . Turchin , I . V . Balalaeva , R . B . Vasil ’ ev , V . P . Zlomanov , V . I . Plehanov , A . G . Orlova , E . V . Zagaynova , V . A . Kamensky , M . S . Kleshnin , M . V . Shirmanova , S . G . Dorofeev , and D . N . Dirin . Imaging of QDs-labeled tumors in small animals by fluorescence diffuse tomography // Laser Phys. Lett., 2006. Vol. 3, No. 4, P. 208–211.